Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Caravan Warmup: Moving moeller strokes between drums

As promised in an earlier post, I am going to show what some of the later sections of the Caravan Warmup look like.  This warmup has been incredibly beneficial for me, and I hoping that some of you will be able to use it and benefit from it as well.  

In todays post I am going to be playing parts of steps 1-3 of section B of the Caravan warmup.  The first step is just playing uptempo Moeller strokes on the snare, like this:





In this next step I will be distributing the Moeller stroke between the hi-tom and the snare drum.  It looks like this:



Finally I will distribute Moellers between floor-tom and snare drum with the RH and hi-tom and snare drum with the LH:



The value of being able to distribute Moeller strokes around the drums is that it allows you to play fast, clear, single strokes without tensing up.  There are other ways to do this, but in my personal experience, getting the Moeller stroke in my hands has been the most effective way to unlock the potential of single strokes around the set.  If you don't believe me, listen and watch Jojo Mayer.


1 comment:


  1. The paradiddle is one of the basic building blocks
    (or rudiments) in drumming, in addition to flams, drags,
    and rolls. Paradiddles are typically one of the first
    rudiments taught to beginning snare drum students and
    can later be applied to the whole drum set, especially
    during fills.

    paradiddles
    paradiddle book
    paradiddle exercises

    ReplyDelete