Monday, February 13, 2012

Philly Joe #11: Trading 4's and 8's with the Melody

How to practice trading 4's
I have had a number of conversations recently about how to practice trading 4's, so I wanted to share an exercise from my forthcoming book "Melodic Syncopation" that I give to my students who are struggling with this issue.  I have found that this exercise is so effective because even though it is difficult at first, it gets as close as possible to simulating actual performance.  Here it is:
Philly Joe #11



And here is the suggested recording for this exercise (remember to learn the melody first):

 

I will try to post some video of me playing this exercise some time in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. Also, thanks to Todd Bishop at Cruise Ship Drummer for his recent post that got me thinking about inverted double strokes. binary trading

    ReplyDelete