Monday, June 18, 2012

Music, Music, Music


 

Quarter Notes!
Louis Hayes + Sam Jones = Unstoppable Juggernaut of Swing
As I have mentioned in a previous post on the ride cymbal beat, one of the most efficient ways of learning how to get comfortable in a particular tempo or style is to isolate your ride cymbal and play along with a great recording until your beat feels grounded.  

One of my current favorite drum/bass combinations to work on uptempo jazz is Louis Hayes and Sam Jones, heard at their driving finest in the clip above.  I have been working hard on trying to capture some of the unbelievable forward momentum of this duos quarter notes the last couple of weeks, and I have experienced noticeable improvement (still a long way to go).  If you are trying to improve your uptempo playing, I strongly recommend checking out this recording from the Cannonball Adderley "Nippon Soul". 

2 comments:

  1. Have you been hanging with KWash?

    He cites that recording as a big influence with regards to playing fast tempos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was hanging out with him! I actually got this recommendation from a great saxophonist that I work with. It is good to know that this has the KWash seal of approval though!

      Delete